Community Foundations and Professional Wealth Advisors:
What’s the Connection?
Because we are in the business of forever, community foundations are in a unique position to understand community needs now and in the future. Donors and their advisors have come to appreciate our flexibility, our responsiveness, and our shared interest in making our corner of the world a better place.
Philanthropic Leaders Advisory Network
We are thankful for the following advisors who have donated their time and expertise to make presentations:
- Dennis P. Kotzan, Kotzan CPA & Associates, PC – Charitable Giving After the 2017 Tax Act
- Lauren Cascino Presser, Esq., The Law Firm of Timothy M. Ayres, LLC – Medicaid Basics & Long Term Care Planning Needs
- Amy Edmiston, CPA, CSEP & Patti A. Hudson, CPA, Wessel and Company – Overview of 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Bill Rice, Laurel Highlands Financial Services; Robert E. Vamos, CLTC, AmeriServ Financial Services; and Matthew Melvin, Esq., Barbara Law – Charitable Giving Options and Maintaining Financial Security
- Douglas DeNardo, Esq., Rothman Gordon – Wealth Succession Planning Strategies for Families/Family Businesses
Wealth Advisor Resources
A Donor-Advised Fund at the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies provides an alternative to a private foundation that can save individuals and corporations considerable time and expense.
|No initial tax filings||Must file documents with IRS requesting status of Foundation|
|No incorporation documents required||Must establish corporation|
|Cash Gifts Deductible at 50% AGI||Cash Gifts Deductible at 30% AGI|
|Appreciated Assets Deductible at 30% AGI; 50% for cash gifts||Appreciated Assets Deductible at 20% AGI; for cash gifts, 30%|
|Real Estate contributed during life deductible at Fair Market Value||Real Estate contributed during life only deductible at basis|
|No Excise Taxes||Excise Taxes of 2% of Net Investment Income|
|No annual pay-out||Pay-out required: 5% of assets annually|
|Very efficient, low cost||More costly, accounting, legal & tax|
|Professional staff Professional investment management||Most Private Foundations are too small to afford staff and liability insurance|
|Anonymity if desired||990 PF available to all via internet|
|Quarterly reports with history of gifts and grants|
|Committed to help donors achieve charitable goals.|
Visit the “Financials” section on our About page to view this information.