All applications must be submitted online (hard copies are not accepted). You can preview the application, time frame, and eligibility requirements by opening the application links. After you review the application process, you can then create a username and password, which will enable you to continue with applying for a grant.
Grant Application FAQs
The Foundation supports the work of nonprofits through grants to organizations directly from our donors; competitive grantmaking to fund strategic change in Bedford, Cambria, Somerset, and Indiana counties; and nonprofit capacity building through the Bosler Academy. Our mission is to empower all people to become philanthropists who have a permanent impact and leave a lasting legacy in our region.
Nonprofit organizations that serve Bedford, Cambria, Somerset, and/or Indiana counties with evidence of IRS designation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, governmental entities, volunteer fire companies with a 501(c)(4) status, and organizations that the IRS has determined to be tax-exempt as a church.
- Activities that occurred prior to the beginning date of the grant
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Government entities for basic services
- Projects that discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, race, color, creed, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender expression, or any veteran status.
The Community Foundation offer various grant programs. Click on an active link in the “Grant Application” section above, and you will find a description of the grants available, eligibility requirements, and application deadlines.
- Please click on the active link (either Spring or Fall) in the purple box above to read the eligibility requirements for the grant carefully.
- You may preview the grant application using the link above. A login and password will be required to begin an application. Please remember the login and password for future use.
- Complete the requested application information in the on-line forms, and hit submit before the deadline.
The Community Foundation moved to an online application process to reduce processing time and assure that our records are up to date and accessible. We can serve you better with the online process and do require an online application for grant requests. To allow for any technical or computer issues, you may wish to get started with the application early. Any questions regarding the online application can be sent to Angie Berzonski.
Applications will be screened for eligibility and completeness by Community Foundation staff. Applications that may fit the criteria for other funding sources that we are aware of may be forwarded to those funders for consideration. The Distribution Committee will evaluate eligible applications and will forward grant recommendations to the Foundation’s Board of Directors for final approval.
All applicants will be notified of the results in writing.
The timeline for these grants is as follows:
- Applications due on the last Friday of January
- Distribution Committee announces awards in mid-April
- Applications due on the last Friday of August
- Distribution Committee announces awards in early November
The Community Foundation for the Alleghenies’ Distribution Committee awards grants twice annually. Grants are typically in the range of $500 – $5,000, but may vary.
For more information about applying for a grant, contact Angie Berzonski at 814-315-2982.
Grant Report Due Dates
Fall 2016 grant reports: due 8/4/17.
Spring 2017 grant reports: due 1/15/18.
Fall 2017 grant reports: due 8/3/18.