Black History Month Essay & Poster Contest
The Tribune-Democrat, the Community Foundation for the Alleghenies and the Ron Fisher African American History Educational Fund are presenting an opportunity for area young people to celebrate Black History Month in February through essays and posters.
The essay and poster contests are open to students in all area schools. Winners will receive plaques from The Tribune-Democrat and cash prizes sponsored by CFA and CFA Board President Mark Pasquerilla.
Here’s how students, teachers, and classrooms can get involved:
• This essay contest is open to students in grades 8 through 12 at any area school district.
• Essays should not exceed 550 words.
• Please answer this question: “How can I, as a teen in the Johnstown region, embrace or learn from Black History and have an impact on my community?”
• This poster contest is open to students in grades 7 and under at any area school district.
• Posters should be no larger than 24 inches by 36 inches.
• Directions: Depict visually the impact of an important African-American figure, moment or movement.
Cash prizes and plaques will be awarded to the first-, second-, and third-place winners in each contest.
The deadline for all entries is Feb. 15, 2021.
A portal for uploading entries—either as documents or images (PDF or jpeg)—is available by clicking the button below.
Beginning Feb. 1, posters may be delivered to The Tribune-Democrat: 425 Locust St., Johnstown, 15907.
The winners will be announced and published in The Tribune-Democrat on Saturday, Feb. 27.
All entries will be presented on The Tribune-Democrat’s website.
The Black History Month contest is an initiative of the Ron Fisher African American History Educational Fund, The Tribune-Democrat and Community Foundation for the Alleghenies.
Contest sponsorships are available (CLICK HERE to email CFA Donor and Development Services Officer Katrina Perkosky for information) and will help create opportunities for local students to learn and experience African American history. Those interested in supporting such initiatives also can make a secure, online donation to the fund by CLICKING HERE.